Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reflection on Imperialism in the Middle East

I think that imperialism caused nationalism in the Middle East and their hatred towards western ideals because before they had come in, their religion was their law, it was the way they lived their lives. And not only where they trying to make their country more secular, they were making their own people believe in their cause. I think that the conservative Muslims have every right to be as anger as they were. Basically Imperialism was making their own neighbors brake the law that they have lived by all their lives. The people that resisted were probably the ones that were most proud of their country already, so it was perfect breeding for a strong nationalist revolt in many countries.

If I had to chose one thing that is the real cause of their strong anti-west mindset I would have to say westernization. As I said earlier it was tearing their old belief system to shreds. Imperialism on the other hand was just countries trying to gain resources and set up colonies, I guess westernization probably came about because of the imperialism, but imperialism could have happened without the westernization. Basically whenever I think about these situations, that I my self are so unfamiliar too, I like to think of a modern day example that i could be in. When I was thinking about this issue I tries to think about a culture that is almost the exact opposite as ours. That when I thought of Amish people. If the Amish people came here and not only suggested we should not use electronics, but started forcing it on to us, I would be extremely mad. And when Zach starts helping their cause because he thinks its good for our people, am I mad at him? No, i am more mad at the Amish then I was before for turning my own, against me.

No comments:

Post a Comment