Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wonders of Africa

The first wonder I looked at was the Black Pharaohs. This first struck my eye because I thought it was an interesting topic, and I never really thought of Pharaohs as being black, so I know I could learn something interesting by reading it. I turns of that a black pharaoh did rule of not only Nubia, but Egypt as well because they had conquered it. He built marvelous temples and promoted renaissance in Egypt. He also started up the old tradition of using pyramids, which is why there are more in areas of Sudan then there are in Egypt. Nubia I am assuming is present day Sudan.
The second wonder I looked at was the island of Zanzibar. I knew that I recognized the name but I couldn't remember from what so I wanted to take a look to see what this island was all about. It turns out that this island was pretty important and influenced by a lot of other cultures, including those from asia, europe and the middle east. It was used as a port for Africa, and was a major exporter back in the day of one crop economies. Today Zanzibar is once again trying to compete as a major exporter, but are trying to adjust to a world where one-crop economies are obsolete.
The last wonder I read about was the Vodou religion. I thought it was funny when I started reading because I thought it was going to be about those dolls that people stick pins into, but as made clear in the article, this had nothing to do with the western fad of voodoo. This religion is about human trying to become more at one with spirits and nature. A big part of the religion is possession, but still nothing with controlling other people or putting hexes on people. It is a very peaceful religion that has been going strong in africa for hundreds of year. To bad though, I would have liked to read about voodoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment